- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Thin orange or lemon peel strips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, orange peel, lemon peel and extracts. In another bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. If desired, top with orange peel strips.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews forOrange & Lemon Wafer Cookies
"My new favorite ! quick & easy too"
"This is a quick and easy recipe, and I love the mixture of the lemon and orange flavourings. The next batch, I may substitute lemon extract for the orange extract. Like many of the others, I did not get 48 cookies; I only got 32. Thanks for a great recipe!"
"I tried this recipe today for the first time as TOH is having a weekly Ingredient Challenge using citrus (orange, lemon or grapefruit). I used regular salted butter. I'd used 2 tsp. vanilla extract & 1/2 tsp. orange extract! The NEXT TIME I'll KNOW to use the 1 tsp. vanilla extract & 1 tsp. orange extract! I did bake the cookies on the parchment paper-lined baking sheets and baked for just 8 minutes. I found that I had to allow cookies to cool slightly before removing from the paper-lined baking sheets-they're delicate and firm up as they cool! I admit that I sampled quite a few! They had a buttery flavor! The yield was 32 cookies, NOT 48! Next time, I'll use a smaller amount of dough to drop on the parchment-paper-lined sheets! Maybe, using smaller teaspoonfuls will yield more cookies for me! Thank you, JoAnn Belack, for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home! I'm sure that I'll be using this recipe again!delowenstein"
"I tried these today as I love a citrus flavor. They were quick and easy. I only got 36 cookies so I was a bit more generous but it is nice to have a smaller batch as I live alone and if I don't share them, I eat too many!! They were just wonderful."