Open-Faced Turkey Tacos
Alice Jenne of Marengo, Illinois likes to serve this filling ope-faced tortilla with a side of cold applesauce. "If you like things spicy, simply add more salsa," she suggests.
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 10 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 10 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Add beans and salsa; cook and stir until
- heated through. Spread 1/2 cup turkey mixture over each tortilla.
- Top with lettuce, tomatoes, peppers and sour cream. Yield: 10
Nutritional Facts: 1 taco equals 265 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 674 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.