Open-Faced Pizza Burgers Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pizza sauce, mushrooms, sugar and oregano; mix well. Spoon onto buns; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- 2. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- 3. To freeze for quick lunches later, place the split and toasted buns on a baking sheet. Spoon the meat mixture onto buns; freeze for 1 hour. Transfer to heavy-duty resealable plastic bags or airtight containers.
- 4. To use frozen burgers: Thaw completely in the refrigerator. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 205 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 357 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Reviews for Open-Faced Pizza Burgers
"This was wonderfull, quick and easy and good. My whole family enjoyed."
"My girlfriends mom used to make a similar recipe but the recipe is slightly different. She used SPAM with the ground beef, tomato soup and paste along with Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese (preferably Crackerbarrel). I have since modified the recipe and use pizza sauce in mine sometimes for variation, throw in some sliced pepperoni. My daughter now makes these for her family."