I'm not sure where I first saw this recipe, but I'm glad I did! My family requests these burgers often. A dash of oregano livens up canned pizza sauce. - Sharon Schwartz, Burlington, Wisconsin
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pizza sauce, mushrooms, sugar and oregano; mix well. Spoon onto buns; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- To freeze for quick lunches later, place the split and toasted buns on a baking sheet. Spoon the meat mixture onto buns; freeze for 1 hour. Transfer to heavy-duty resealable plastic bags or airtight containers.
- To use frozen burgers: Thaw completely in the refrigerator. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Open-Faced Pizza Burgers in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p107
Reviews for Open-Faced Pizza Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review