Open-Faced Meatball Subs Recipe
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups garden-style pasta sauce
- 4 hoagie buns, split
- 2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 40 meatballs. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown meatballs in batches; drain.
- 2. Place meatballs in a large saucepan. Add pasta sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Spoon meatballs and sauce onto bun halves; sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 sandwich (calculated without Parmesan cheese) equals 277 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 506 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.