My husband and I love classic meatball subs, but I wanted to create a version that's fast to fix after a long day. This recipe comes together in a snap, and the meatballs are freezer-friendly as well.
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups garden-style pasta sauce
- 4 hoagie buns, split
- 2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 40 meatballs. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown meatballs in batches; drain.
- Place meatballs in a large saucepan. Add pasta sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Spoon meatballs and sauce onto bun halves; sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Open-Faced Meatball Sandwiches in The Ultimate Ground Beef Cookbook 2007, p89
Reviews for Open-Faced Meatball Subs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 29, 2011
"Yummy! My first stab at a meatball sub - turned out great, recipe was easy, and my husband surely loved it!"
Reviewed Feb. 28, 2011
"this isour favourite recipe from the comfort food diet book,very easy to make,tastes great."