Open-Faced Meatball Sandwiches Recipe
My husband and I love meatball subs, so I tried to come up with a different version that’s easy to make after a hard day,” Karen Barthel relates from North Canton, Ohio. “The meatballs freeze well, too.”
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 2 cups garden-style pasta sauce
- 4 hoagie buns, split
- 2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 40 meatballs, 1 in. each. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown meatballs in batches; drain.
- Place meatballs in a large saucepan. Add the pasta sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Spoon meatballs and sauce onto bun halves; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Open-Faced Meatball Sandwiches in Taste of Home April/May 2006, p23
Reviews for Open-Faced Meatball Sandwiches(3)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 24, 2012
This was really good!
Reviewed Aug. 22, 2011
my alltime favourite diet recipe,tastes fattening but it is noy.
Reviewed Jun. 8, 2011
my family and I love this recipe, I believe it is one of my sons favorite yet
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Sandwich Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Turkey Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Kids Dinner Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Sandwiches >
- Meatball Recipes >