Open-Faced Fennel Turkey Burgers Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (20 ounces) lean ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick), toasted
- Chopped fennel fronds, optional
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute fennel, onion and green pepper in butter until crisp-tender. Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly. Add the bread crumbs, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into five patties. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the tomato, parsley, oil and remaining salt; set aside.
- 3. Using long handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Serve on toast with tomato mixture. Sprinkle with fennel fronds if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
1 each: 321 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 571mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 0 fat.
Reviews for Open-Faced Fennel Turkey Burgers
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.