Open-Faced Chicken Sandwiches
Caramelized onions, mushrooms and two types of cheese make these my favorite sandwiches. I invented them for a last-minute picnic by combining items I had on hand. They've been a hit ever since.
-Lynda Clark of Spokane, Washington
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut bread into eight 1-in. slices and toast slices. Meanwhile, in a
- large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute mushrooms
- and onion for 15-20 minutes or until onion is tender and golden
- brown; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, blue cheese and pepper.
- Spread blue cheese mixture over each bread slice. Top with chicken,
- mushroom mixture and mozzarella cheese.
- Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is
- melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One open-faced sandwich equals 276 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 618 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch,