Caramelized onions, mushrooms and two types of cheese make these my favorite sandwiches. I invented them for a last-minute picnic by combining items I had on hand. They've been a hit ever since. -Lynda Clark of Spokane, Washington
Recommended: 47 Sweet and Savory Snacks For Your TV Marathon
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut bread into eight 1-in. slices and toast slices. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute mushrooms and onion for 15-20 minutes or until onion is tender and golden brown; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, blue cheese and pepper. Spread blue cheese mixture over each bread slice. Top with chicken, mushroom mixture and mozzarella cheese.
- Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Open-Faced Chicken Sandwiches in Light & Tasty April/May 2004, p39
Reviews for Open-Faced Chicken Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 4, 2014
"We loved this. We will definitely make this again."
Reviewed Jan. 16, 2012
"I also added bacon bits to the onions and mushrooms - very yummy!!"