- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 slices
- 4 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 8 slices tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a blender, combine the first eight ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Chill until serving. For burgers, in a small bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, pesto, garlic and salt. Crumble chicken over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook burgers in 2 tablespoons oil for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Top with cheese; cover and cook 1 minute longer.
- Meanwhile, brush bread with remaining oil; place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until toasted.
- Spread each slice of toast with 2 tablespoons avocado spread (refrigerate remaining spread for another use). Top with arugula, a burger and sliced tomato. Sprinkle with basil and pepper. Yield: 4 servings plus 1/4 cup leftover spread.
Reviews forOpen-Faced Chicken Avocado Burgers
"This was such a delicious variation on the typical burger! The burgers were moist and flavors were delicious. I used regular buns and serve open faced."
"While my family really liked these (even my picky child), I think next time I'll use ground turkey and just serve on a regular bun. The flavors that go into the burgers themselves are great!!!! I'm still on the fence about the avocado sauce. Regardless, it was a great variation on burgers!!!!"
"I always read reviews but have never entered my own but after having these tonight I had to let you know that these were INCREDIBLE! They made a permanent spot in the cook book!"
"My whole family loved this!!! The only thing I did different was I used fat free mayo and sour cream plus I omitted the salt. Will be making this again and again!!"
"This recipe is great! All I had was ground pork, and they turned out wonderfully! I love the avocado sauce and used the leftovers for sandwiches and even as a holandaise sauce substitute on an open faced egg sandwich...soo yummy!"
"OMG! I made these last night and they were fabulous! Amazing taste!"
"My 4 and 1 year old ate these."
"This is soooo good! It has become one of my favorites to make."