Open-Faced Chicken Avocado Burgers Recipe
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 slices
- 4 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 8 slices tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a blender, combine the first eight ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Chill until serving. For burgers, in a small bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, pesto, garlic and salt. Crumble chicken over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook burgers in 2 tablespoons oil for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Top with cheese; cover and cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Meanwhile, brush bread with remaining oil; place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until toasted.
- 4. Spread each slice of toast with 2 tablespoons avocado spread (refrigerate remaining spread for another use). Top with arugula, a burger and sliced tomato. Sprinkle with basil and pepper. Yield: 4 servings plus 1/4 cup leftover spread.
1 each: 723 calories, 55g fat (17g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 849mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Reviews for Open-Faced Chicken Avocado Burgers
"This was such a delicious variation on the typical burger! The burgers were moist and flavors were delicious. I used regular buns and serve open faced."
"While my family really liked these (even my picky child), I think next time I'll use ground turkey and just serve on a regular bun. The flavors that go into the burgers themselves are great!!!! I'm still on the fence about the avocado sauce. Regardless, it was a great variation on burgers!!!!"
"I always read reviews but have never entered my own but after having these tonight I had to let you know that these were INCREDIBLE! They made a permanent spot in the cook book!"
"My whole family loved this!!! The only thing I did different was I used fat free mayo and sour cream plus I omitted the salt. Will be making this again and again!!"
"This recipe is great! All I had was ground pork, and they turned out wonderfully! I love the avocado sauce and used the leftovers for sandwiches and even as a holandaise sauce substitute on an open faced egg sandwich...soo yummy!"
"OMG! I made these last night and they were fabulous! Amazing taste!"
"My 4 and 1 year old ate these."
"This is soooo good! It has become one of my favorites to make."
"Fantastic! Never had chicken burgers taste this good - usually bland and not very tasty. This exceeded our expectations and will definitely make them again."
"I was so surprised when my entire family gave this recipe the highest rating ever. They all agreed they want this again and again!! The flavors blended together so well and the presentation was wonderful. Thank you for such a true winner!!!!"
"One word...yum! This chicken burger could easily be placed between a nice toasted bulky roll for easier consumption."
"these burgers were delicious! I will definately make them again and I have been using the extra avocado sauce on all my lunch time sandwiches. Wonderful!"
"This was a great change to burgers. I couldn't find ground chicken so I used turkey and it was wonderful! I've made it twice."
"Really good and left over sauce can be used again on almost anything."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.