A creamy avocado spread and thick slices of fresh mozzarella and tomato dress up these chicken burgers. They're wonderful with buttered boiled potatoes or a salad. —Lisa Hundley, Aberdeen, North Carolina
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 slices
- 4 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 8 slices tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a blender, combine the first eight ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Chill until serving. For burgers, in a small bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, pesto, garlic and salt. Crumble chicken over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook burgers in 2 tablespoons oil for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Top with cheese; cover and cook 1 minute longer.
- Meanwhile, brush bread with remaining oil; place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until toasted.
- Spread each slice of toast with 2 tablespoons avocado spread (refrigerate remaining spread for another use). Top with arugula, a burger and sliced tomato. Sprinkle with basil and pepper. Yield: 4 servings plus 1/4 cup leftover spread.
Originally published as Open-Faced Chicken Avocado Burgers in Taste of Home June/July 2010, p53
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Open-Faced Chicken Avocado Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review