"Mom used to make these quick-and-easy sandwiches for us using leftover hamburger buns and fresh tomatoes out of the garden," recalls Sandy McKenzie of Braham, Minnesota. "They're a nice warm change from the usual tuna sandwich," They're also a snap to assemble, easy to eat...and only 40¢ each.
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium dill pickle, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon horseradish sauce
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 8 thin slices
- 8 slices process American cheese
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Place buns cut side up on a baking sheet. Spread tuna mixture evenly over buns; top with tomato. Bake at 350° for 5 minutes. Top with cheese. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Open-Face Tuna Melts in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p37
Reviews for Open-Face Tuna Melts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review