I serve this dish as an appetizer and often add whatever ingredients I have handy, such as mushrooms or sun-dried tomatoes. Whether I serve it “as is” or jazz it up, it’s always delicious. —Todd Noon, Galloway, New Jersey
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 5 to 6 medium sweet onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) lump crabmeat, drained, divided
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 to 16 slices French bread (1/4 inch thick)
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 1/4 cup butter until tender.
- Remove from the heat; gently stir in half of the crab. Spread into a
- greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with remaining crab. Combine
- the cheese, soup, milk, salt and pepper; spoon over crab.
- Spread remaining butter over one side of each slice of bread; place
- buttered side up over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for
- 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 415 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 873 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.