- 5 to 6 medium sweet onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) lump crabmeat, drained, divided
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 to 16 slices French bread (1/4 inch thick)
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 1/4 cup butter until tender. Remove from the heat; gently stir in half of the crab. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with remaining crab. Combine the cheese, soup, milk, salt and pepper; spoon over crab.
- Spread remaining butter over one side of each slice of bread; place buttered side up over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Onions Neptune in Taste of Home February/March 2006, p37
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Onions Neptune
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 17, 2012
"I didn't add the crab and served this with roast beef and everyone loved it."