- 6 medium yellow onions
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut onions into 1/2-in. slices; saute in butter until tender. Place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a small bowl, stir the flour, broth, cream, salt and pepper until smooth; pour over onions. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and mixture is bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Onions Au Gratin
"Made a 1/2 recipe to see if my family liked it. . . it is now a favorite. I'm not a big onion lover but it was good and even got the picky eaters to try it and were surprised."
"I have fixed several times. Everyone that has eaten it has enjoyed it."
"This is a delicious dish! Tastes great as an accompaniment to regular or chopped steak."