Most everyone cooks with onions, but few think of serving them as a vegetable side dish. My family really loves this recipe.—Christine Halandras, Meeker, Colorado
- 6 medium yellow onions
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut onions into 1/2-in. slices; saute in butter until tender. Place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a small bowl, stir the flour, broth, cream, salt and pepper until smooth; pour over onions. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and mixture is bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Onions Au Gratin in Taste of Home June/July 1997, p44
Reviews for Onions Au Gratin
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review