Onions and Spice, Parsley and Rice Recipe
For a succulent side dish, Marion Karlin of Waterloo, Iowa suggests her nicely herbed and spiced rice. Onions, mint, dill and lemon all accent the tender grain, while the flecks of green dress it up a bit.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1-3/4 cups thinly sliced green onion
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook green onions, onions, rice and parsley in butter for about 3 minutes or until coated evenly with butter. Stir in the salt, dill, mint and pepper. Stir in the water, lemon juice and lemon peel. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 16-18 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup equals 144 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 442 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC