Onion Yeast Bread Recipe
This is an old recipe of my mother's. She was often asked to make it for the annual banquet hosted by our church's youth group.
- 2 packages Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening, soup mix, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC