Onion-Topped Cheese Spread Recipe
- 2-1/2 pounds large sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- Assorted crackers
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the onions, sugar, salt and bay leaves in oil and butter over medium heat for 45-50 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- 2. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Cook until wine is reduced by half. Remove and discard bay leaves. Cool slightly. Pour over cream cheese. Serve with crackers. Yield: 8 servings.
1/4 cup cream cheese with 3 tablespoons onion topping (calculated without crackers): 316 calories, 26g fat (15g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 341mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Onion-Topped Cheese Spread
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.