Onion Tomato Soup Recipe
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2-2/3 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 cups diced seeded plum tomatoes
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the tomato juice, water, basil, oregano, sugar and celery salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes; cook 10 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium tomato juice) equals 82 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 265 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
Reviews for Onion Tomato Soup
"This soup is my kryptonite! I love it so much I've already made it half a dozen times!"