Onion Tomato Soup
"Fresh herbs really make the difference in the flavor of this low-fat vegetarian soup," notes Lisa Blackwell from Henderson, North Carolina. "It tastes especially delicious when it's could out," she adds.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2-2/3 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 cups diced seeded plum tomatoes
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the tomato
- juice, water, basil, oregano, sugar and celery salt. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring
- occasionally. Add the tomatoes; cook 10 minutes longer. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium tomato juice) equals 82 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 265 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.