Onion Tarts with Balsamic Onion Jam Recipe
I came up with this recipe when I needed to use up some puff pastry. Now this spur-of-the-moment snack makes a regular appearance on my entertaining menus.
- 3 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 5 bay leaves, divided
- 2 small sage sprigs, divided
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 1/4 cup butter until softened. Add 3 bay leaves, 1 sage sprig and 1 thyme sprig. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes or until onions are deep golden brown. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Discard bay leaves, thyme and sage. Cool slightly.
- Place onion mixture in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a small saucepan. Add the vinegar, brown sugar, molasses and remaining bay leaves, sage, thyme and butter. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 10 minutes. Discard bay leaves, sage and thyme.
- Unfold puff pastry; cut into 1-1/2-in. squares. Transfer squares to greased baking sheets. Dollop a scant teaspoonful of onion jam in the middle of each square; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 6 dozen.
Originally published as Onion Tarts with Balsamic Onion Jam in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p41
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Onion Tarts with Balsamic Onion Jam(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Appetizers >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cocktail Party Appetizers >
- Easter Appetizers >
- Easter Recipes >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Holiday Finger Foods >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >
- Hot Appetizer Recipes >
- Hot Finger Food Recipes >
- Low Carb Appetizers >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Appetizers >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Appetizers >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- New Year's Appetizers >