This is one of our favorite bread recipes. I hope you enjoy it just as much as our family and friends do.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large sweet or yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, mustard and lemon juice; cook and stir for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat.
- Brush cut sides of bread with some of the butter from the pan. Spoon onion mixture onto bread bottom; top with cheese. Replace bread top.
- Wrap loaf in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Onion Swiss Loaf in Country Extra January 2008, p51
Reviews for Onion Swiss Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review