Onion Soup with Sausage
With a yummy slice of mozzarella cheese bread on top, this hearty broth makes an impressive luncheon or light supper. “This delicious soup is ready in no time,” Sundra Hauck confirms from Bogalusa, Louisiana. “It makes an excellent presentation and tastes wonderful.”
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound pork sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 4 slices Italian bread
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer
- pink; drain. Add mushrooms and onion; cook for 4-6 minutes or until
- tender. Stir in the broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 4-6 minutes or until heated through.
- Ladle into four 2-cup ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of
- bread; sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 378 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 1,325 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein.