With a yummy slice of mozzarella cheese bread on top, this hearty broth makes an impressive luncheon or light supper. “This delicious soup is ready in no time,” Sundra Hauck confirms from Bogalusa, Louisiana. “It makes an excellent presentation and tastes wonderful.”
Recommended: 30 Soup Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1/2 pound pork sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 4 slices Italian bread
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add mushrooms and onion; cook for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in the broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-6 minutes or until heated through.
- Ladle into four 2-cup ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of bread; sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Onion Soup with Sausage in Quick Cooking January/February 2006, p42
Reviews for Onion Soup with Sausage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 12, 2011
"I did not like this very much. I felt it had a greasy taste from the sausage. However, I left out the mushrooms, so maybe it would be better for people who like mushrooms to make as written."