Onion-Smothered Sirloins Recipe
Friends and family love these savory steaks and sweet onions. The dinner is simple to prepare and the flavor is fantastic. I usually serve it with corn and baked potatoes cooked on the grill as well. For spicier steaks, increase the pepper flakes and cumin. Tina Michalicka Hudson, Florida
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 boneless beef sirloin steaks (about 8 ounces each and 1 inch thick)
- 2 large sweet onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices and separated into rings
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium lime, cut into quarters
- In a bowl, combine the garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cumin, oregano and pepper flakes. Rub over the steaks; set aside.
- Place onions in a disposable foil pan; add oil and toss to coat. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Season onions with pepper, remaining salt and a squeeze of lime.
- Grill steaks, uncovered, over medium heat for 7-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Squeeze remaining lime over the steaks; top with onions. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Onion-Smothered Sirloins in Quick Cooking May/June 2003, p31
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Onion-Smothered Sirloins(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review