Onion Shortcake Recipe
My dear friend, Barbara Gruis, is asked to bring this bread for just about every type of gathering. She was kind enough to share the recipe with me.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a bowl, combine the corn bread mix, milk, oil and egg. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. In another bowl, combine the onion, corn, 1 cup cheddar cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt and hot pepper sauce.
- 2. Spoon over batter. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 307 calories, 22 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 574 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC