Onion Shortcake Recipe
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a bowl, combine the corn bread mix, milk, oil and egg. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. In another bowl, combine the onion, corn, 1 cup cheddar cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt and hot pepper sauce.
- 2. Spoon over batter. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 307 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 574mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Onion Shortcake
"This dish is fantastic! My kids, who don't care for onions, love it! It is a crowd pleaser everytime I serve it. One piece of advice: You don't have to use creamed corn, use regular canned corn otherwise it turns out too soft in the center... try this recipe soon!"