My dear friend, Barbara Gruis, is asked to bring this bread for just about every type of gathering. She was kind enough to share the recipe with me.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- In a bowl, combine the corn bread mix, milk, oil and egg. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. In another bowl, combine the onion, corn, 1 cup cheddar cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt and hot pepper sauce.
- Spoon over batter. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Onion Shortcake in Best of Country Breads 2000, p111
Reviews for Onion Shortcake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review