Onion Sandwich Rolls Recipe
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1. In a small bowl, combine soup mix, boiling water and butter; cool to 120°-130°. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, yeast and sugar. Add warm water; beat until smooth. Stir in 1 cup flour. Beat in onion soup mixture and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 12 portions and shape each into a ball. Place on greased baking sheets; flatten slightly.
- 3. Place two large shallow pans on the work surface; fill half full with boiling water. Place baking pans with rolls over water-filled pans. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 16-19 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
One serving (prepared with margarine and reduced-sodium soup mix) equals 160 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 168 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.