Onion Salisbury Steak
I have relied on this recipe for as long as I can remember. Ground beef patties, tender onion slices and a rich gravy top toasted bread to make this Depression-era favorite.Claudine Moffatt, Manchester, Missouri
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, salt and pepper; shape into four
- oval patties. In a large skillet, brown patties on one side. Turn
- and add onions. Cook until a meat thermometer reads 160° and
- juices run clear.
- Place toast on serving plates. Top each slice with onions and a beef
- patty; keep warm.
- Stir flour into skillet until blended. Gradually add water; stir in
- bouillon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened and bubbly. Serve with meat and onions. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 297 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,092 mg sodium,