I have relied on this recipe for as long as I can remember. Ground beef patties, tender onion slices and a rich gravy top toasted bread to make this Depression-era favorite.—Claudine Moffatt, Manchester, Missouri
Recommended: 30 Beef Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, salt and pepper; shape into four oval patties. In a large skillet, brown patties on one side. Turn and add onions. Cook until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- Place toast on serving plates. Top each slice with onions and a beef patty; keep warm.
- Stir flour into skillet until blended. Gradually add water; stir in bouillon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Serve with meat and onions. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Onion Salisbury Steak in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p16
Reviews for Onion Salisbury Steak
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 24, 2016
Reviewed May. 21, 2014
"These were simple to make and had a nice hearty appeal. We both liked them!"
Reviewed Oct. 6, 2010
"Yummy, easy, & economical!~ Theresa"
Reviewed Oct. 8, 2009
"Fabulous. My husband adores this. You can use less bouillon if it's too strong for you."