Onion Rye Appetizers
"I take these hearty appetizers to every party we attend and always bring home an empty tray," relates Vicki Wolf from Aurora, Ohio. "I also keep a supply in the freezer for a speedy snack that gets rave reviews--even from children."
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + freezing Bake: 15 min.
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, crushed
- 1 jar (2 ounces) crumbled bacon or 3/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) snack rye bread
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, bacon, mayonnaise and Swiss
- cheese. Spread about 1 teaspoon of pizza sauce on each slice of
- bread. Top with about 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture.
- Cover and freeze in a single layer for up to 2 months, or bake on an
- ungreased baking sheet at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until heated
- through and cheese is melted.
- To use frozen appetizers: Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at
- 350° for 14-16 minutes or until heated through and cheese is
- melted. Yield: 20 appetizers.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3 each) equals 697 calories, 42 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 1,574 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red