"I take these hearty appetizers to every party we attend and always bring home an empty tray," relates Vicki Wolf from Aurora, Ohio. "I also keep a supply in the freezer for a speedy snack that gets rave reviews--even from children."
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, crushed
- 1 jar (2 ounces) crumbled bacon or 3/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) snack rye bread
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, bacon, mayonnaise and Swiss cheese. Spread about 1 teaspoon of pizza sauce on each slice of bread. Top with about 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture.
- Cover and freeze in a single layer for up to 2 months, or bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- To use frozen appetizers: Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 20 appetizers.
Originally published as Onion Rye Appetizers in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p48
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Onion Rye Appetizers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review