- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, crushed
- 1 jar (2 ounces) crumbled Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon or 3/4 cup crumbled cooked Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) snack rye bread
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, bacon, mayonnaise and Swiss cheese. Spread about 1 teaspoon of pizza sauce on each slice of bread. Top with about 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture.
- Cover and freeze in a single layer for up to 2 months, or bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- To use frozen appetizers: Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 20 appetizers.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Onion Rye Appetizers
"Took these to a girls' night & they were a big hit"
"I made these using rye party bread I had in the freezer. REALLY good!!I made the full recipe of topping which would not be enough for a full loaf of the bread. I think the way the recipe is written, it does not intend that the topping will be enough for a full loaf since it says it serves 20 or that could be an estimate of the # of slices in a full loaf and 2 slices per person??? Anyway, I will use the remaining spread on my regular bread to use it up. Half the loaf I had was 18 slices and I froze 13 and my husband got 3 and I ate 2!! Also, does not use up the full jar of pizza sauce.."
"I made these and froze them then cooked them for company. Everyone enjoyed them and they were great"
"It was a favorite! I could not find the party rye, so used regular rye bread andcut each slice into fourths. Very flavorfuland moist. Loved it!!!!"
"I make them every Christmas for an appetizer party at my mother's house. They are sooooo good! Like mini pizzas but better!"
"tomatoes is great!"
"could add mushrooms"