“This yummy side dish will keep everyone wondering what's different, and they'll never guess that it's the apple juice!” says Joan Hallford of North Richland Hills, Texas. “I've had this recipe for over twenty years. It's a great side dish when time is of the essence because it's so quick and easy to prepare,” she adds.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Additional oil for frying
- Cut onions into 1/4-in. slices and separate into rings. In a shallow
- bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and pepper. In a small
- bowl, combine the egg, apple juice and oil; stir into dry
- ingredients just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to
- 375°. Dip onion rings into batter. Fry, a few at a time, for 2-3
- minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Yield: 4 servings.