Onion Potato Rolls Recipe
As a 4-H judge, I sampled a variation of these light, golden rolls at our county fair. With a touch of onion, it's a real blue-ribbon recipe that wins raves whenever I serve it.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:18 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Beat in the next eight ingredients. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch the dough down; divide into 18 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Brush egg over rolls. Sprinkle with dried onion. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 218 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 348 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC