Onion Potato Rolls Recipe
As a 4-H judge, I sampled a variation of these light, golden rolls at our county fair. With a touch of onion, it's a real blue-ribbon recipe that wins raves whenever I serve it.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Beat in the next eight ingredients. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down; divide into 18 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush egg over rolls. Sprinkle with dried onion. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Onion Potato Rolls in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p28
Reviews for Onion Potato Rolls(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review