Onion Potato Pie Recipe
- 8 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1. Gently squeeze potatoes to remove excess water. Melt 5 tablespoons butter; add to potatoes along with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Press in bottom and up sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate to form a crust. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until edges are browned. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. In a saucepan over medium heat, saute the onion and red pepper in remaining butter until tender, about 6-8 minutes. Spoon into crust; sprinkle with cheese. Combine the eggs, milk and remaining salt; pour over onion mixture.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 228 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 432 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.