Onion Poppy Seed Twist Recipe
This buttery bread is fancy enough to share with company but easy enough to make every day. Savory slices are great served with stews and soups.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- Additional poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, egg, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll into a 20-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise, forming two 20-in. x 4-in. rectangles.
- In a small bowl, combine the onion, butter, poppy seeds and salt. Spread over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold rectangles in half lengthwise; pinch seams to seal, forming two ropes. Place ropes, side by side, on a greased baking sheet; twist together and shape into a ring. Pinch ends together. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg. Sprinkle with additional poppy seeds. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Onion Poppy Seed Twist in Best of Country Breads 2000, p67
Reviews for Onion Poppy Seed Twist(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review