This buttery bread is fancy enough to share with company but easy enough to make every day. Savory slices are great served with stews and soups.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Additional poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, egg, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll into a 20-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise, forming two 20-in. x 4-in. rectangles.
- In a small bowl, combine the onion, butter, poppy seeds and salt. Spread over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold rectangles in half lengthwise; pinch seams to seal, forming two ropes. Place ropes, side by side, on a greased baking sheet; twist together and shape into a ring. Pinch ends together. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg. Sprinkle with additional poppy seeds. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Onion Poppy Seed Twist in Best of Country Breads 2000, p67
Reviews for Onion Poppy Seed Twist
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review