This traditional dish from our Test Kitchen resembles a delicious souffle. Sliced eggplant, diced green pepper or shredded cabbage can be used in place of onions.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1/3 cup matzo meal
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks on high speed for 2 minutes or
- until thick and lemon-colored. Add the onions, matzo meal, oil, salt
- and pepper; mix well.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites on high until stiff peaks form; fold
- into onion mixture. Pour into an ungreased 2-qt. round baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield:
- 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 164 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 159 mg cholesterol, 270 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.