Onion Italian Sausage Recipe
- 6 medium onions, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Dash reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until lightly browned. Remove from pan; set aside. In the same skillet, lightly brown sausage, turning frequently. Remove; set aside with onions.
- 2. Add more butter to skillet if necessary; saute pepper until crisp-tender. Add the onions, sausages, Italian seasonings and soy sauce. Add water to 1-in. depth and simmer until a thermometer inserted in the sausages reads 140° and water is cooked away. Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 2 protein, 2 vegetable, 2 fat; also, 287 calories, 674 mg sodium, 64 mg cholesterol, 9 gm carbohydrate, 15 gm protein, 21 gm fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.