Onion Italian Sausage
When my five children were still all at home, this was one of their most-requested meals. I've long had this recipe among my standbys, and, like all cooks who improvise and experiment, I've changed it as our tastes have changed. Having my recipe judged "grand prize winner" is exciting...and I sure have to smile when I think what my children will say to me. More than once they've pointed out featur
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 medium onions, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 Italian sausage links
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Dash reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until lightly browned.
- Remove from pan; set aside. In the same skillet, lightly brown
- sausage, turning frequently. Remove; set aside with onions.
- Add more butter to skillet if necessary; saute pepper until
- crisp-tender. Add the onions, sausages, Italian seasonings and soy
- sauce. Add water to 1-in. depth and simmer until a thermometer
- inserted in the sausages reads 140° and water is cooked away.
- Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 2 protein, 2 vegetable, 2 fat; also, 287 calories, 674 mg sodium, 64 mg cholesterol, 9 gm carbohydrate, 15 gm protein, 21 gm fat.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.