Onion Italian Sausage Recipe
When my five children were still all at home, this was one of their most-requested meals. I've long had this recipe among my standbys, and, like all cooks who improvise and experiment, I've changed it as our tastes have changed. Having my recipe judged "grand prize winner" is exciting...and I sure have to smile when I think what my children will say to me. More than once they've pointed out featured recipes in other magazines. "But, Mom," they tell me, "you've been making this for years!"
- 6 medium onions, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Dash reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until lightly browned. Remove from pan; set aside. In the same skillet, lightly brown sausage, turning frequently. Remove; set aside with onions.
- Add more butter to skillet if necessary; saute pepper until crisp-tender. Add the onions, sausages, Italian seasonings and soy sauce. Add water to 1-in. depth and simmer until a thermometer inserted in the sausages reads 140° and water is cooked away. Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Onion Italian Sausage in Country Woman September/October 1987, p29
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Onion Italian Sausage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Sandwich Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Sandwich Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >