Onion-Garlic Hash Browns
Quick to assemble, this is a simple recipe I’ve cooked many times. Stir in hot sauce if you like a bit of heat. I also like to top the finished dish with a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese. —Cindi Hayward-Boger, Ardmore, Alabama
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce, optional
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute onion and peppers in butter and oil until
- crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the hash
- browns, salt, pepper and pepper sauce if desired.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Cover and
- cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through. Sprinkle with
- parsley before serving. Yield: 12 servings (1/2 cup each).
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 110 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.