Onion Cream Soup Recipe
- 2 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup diced process cheese (Velveeta)
- Shredded cheddar cheese and minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large skillet, cook onions in 3 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat until tender. Add the broth, bouillon and pepper; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add process cheese and onion mixture. Cook and stir until heated through and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 292 calories, 22g fat (14g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 1146mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Onion Cream Soup
"I used to buy the canned cream soup at the store, but after trying this recipe, I'm hooked on homemade. This was so rich and creamy and really easy! I am going to use it as a base for cream of mushroom, and cream of chicken and even broccoli cheese soup. I did also make a few changes, I didn't have velveeta but used Kraft sliced cheese as it is also processed and I also used coconut milk. I think that made it a little creamier. Thanks so much!"
"This is delicious. My boyfriend loves it and between us we have 4 kids ages 10,11, 12 &13 and even all 4 kids love it --That's saying a lot. I used about a 1/3 of a cup of white cooking wine after the onions were tender and let it simmer a couple minutes then added the broth, bouillon, and pepper, also used rice flour to thicken since i am gluten free. This recipe is a keeper !!!"
"I just made this for lunch and had to write a review right away. This was delicious! I made 2 small changes. I didn't have Velveeta but did have Cheez Whiz so I used 1/4 cup of that. Plus we only have skim milk and I have learned the hard way that doesn't always work well for these recipes. However I had 3/4 cup of heavy cream left over from a dessert recipe I tried . I figured the extra fat in that would off-set the fat-free skim milk so I used it plus 3/4 cup of milk. I will make this again!"
"I add extra Velveeta because I am a cheese freak. But, this recipe is so simple and delicious I make it quite often. YUMMY!"
"This was wonderful...I will reduce the amount of onion next time to about 1/2 because my slicer cuts things so FINE!!!"