Onion Cream Soup Recipe
My whole family loves this hearty soup, especially on cool autumn evenings. It's rich and creamy with a mild onion-cheese flavor. When I need an easy dinner, I stir up this soup and serve it with warm crusty bread and a crisp salad. -Janice Hemond, Lincoln, Rhode Island
- 2 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup diced process cheese (Velveeta)
- Shredded cheddar cheese and minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large skillet, cook onions in 3 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat until tender. Add the broth, bouillon and pepper; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add process cheese and onion mixture. Cook and stir until heated through and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 292 calories, 22 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 1,146 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Onion Cream Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC