Onion Cream Soup Recipe
- 2 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup diced process cheese (Velveeta)
- Shredded cheddar cheese and minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook onions in 3 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat until tender. Add the broth, bouillon and pepper; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add process cheese and onion mixture. Cook and stir until heated through and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Onion Cream Soup(4)
Sort By :
This is delicious. My boyfriend loves it and between us we have 4 kids ages 10,11, 12 &13 and even all 4 kids love it --That's saying a lot. I used about a 1/3 of a cup of white cooking wine after the onions were tender and let it simmer a couple minutes then added the broth, bouillon, and pepper, also used rice flour to thicken since i am gluten free. This recipe is a keeper !!!
I just made this for lunch and had to write a review right away. This was delicious! I made 2 small changes. I didn't have Velveeta but did have Cheez Whiz so I used 1/4 cup of that. Plus we only have skim milk and I have learned the hard way that doesn't always work well for these recipes. However I had 3/4 cup of heavy cream left over from a dessert recipe I tried . I figured the extra fat in that would off-set the fat-free skim milk so I used it plus 3/4 cup of milk. I will make this again!
I add extra Velveeta because I am a cheese freak. But, this recipe is so simple and delicious I make it quite often. YUMMY!
This was wonderful...I will reduce the amount of onion next time to about 1/2 because my slicer cuts things so FINE!!!