Onion Cheese Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Seasoned salad croutons
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Serve with croutons and Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Onion Cheese Soup(12)
Sort By :
Quick AND delicious, I couldn't ask for more! I used fresh grated Colby-Jack, threw in two medium potatoes that I had precooked and chopped, and replaced 2 cups of milk with 2 cups of chicken broth. I will DEFINITELY make this again, hands down!
this is your basic cheese soup. very good. i cook the onions down to just caramelized and add 3 cups of chicken broth or stock and 1 cup milk. also sharp cheddar gives it more punch. and a couple dashes tabasco. very tasty
Made this soup this week. It came together quickly and was very tasty. Made as per recipe. No changes. Will make again.
REALLY good. REALLY easy. And tastes even better after I froze the leftovers for a few weeks. This is really really good!
I made this for lunch the other day and although it had a good flavor, my cheese curdled as soon as I put it in. I ended up throwing most of it out. Maybe using velvetta would make a difference. I didn't boil the milk but it was very hot. I did read a recent review where someone said you should grate your own cheese instead of buying shredded cheese because there is something in the pre-shredded that makes it curdle. Don't know if that is true but it might be worth trying.