Onion Cheese Custard Bread Recipe
THIS BREAD is wonderful for a brunch or luncheon menu. My family and friends loved it and just had to have the recipe. The custard texture makes it very different. Served with a tossed salad and dessert, it could even make a light meal. -Joan Kinsinger, Utica, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Set aside to cool. In a large bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Stir in the biscuit mix, onion and 1/2 cup cheese.
- 2. Pour into a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and remaining cheese. Drizzle with butter.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly. Cut into wedges. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 219 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 454 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC