Onion Cheese Bread Appetizer
This bread is yummy served as an appetizer or with soup. "We nicknamed it Louisiana Lagniappe Bread," relates Debbie Letzring from Pineville, Louisiana. "'Lagniappe' is Louisiana French for 'extra', and this bread is extra-good."
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 loaf unsliced French bread (1 pound and 20 inches long)
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions or red onion
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Cut bread lengthwise down the middle to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Cut
- diagonally into 1-in. slices to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Repeat
- cuts in the opposite direction. Stuff bread with cheese and onions.
- Place on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 24 in. x 12
- Combine the butter, lemon juice and mustard; drizzle over bread. Fold
- foil around bread. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 20
- minutes or until cheese is melted. Unwrap; bake 5-10 minutes longer
- or until bread is lightly crisp. Cut into pieces; serve warm. Yield:
- 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 275 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 491 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.