- 1 loaf unsliced French bread (1 pound and 20 inches long)
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions or red onion
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Cut bread lengthwise down the middle to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Cut diagonally into 1-in. slices to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Repeat cuts in the opposite direction. Stuff bread with cheese and onions. Place on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 24 in. x 12 in.).
- Combine the butter, lemon juice and mustard; drizzle over bread. Fold foil around bread. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Unwrap; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bread is lightly crisp. Cut into pieces; serve warm. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Onion Cheese Bread in Quick Cooking March/April 2004, p44
Reviews for Onion Cheese Bread Appetizer
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 22, 2013
Reviewed Mar. 30, 2010
"Delicious! I substituted shredded Colby Jack cheese as I didn't have Monterey Jack."