Onion Brie Bowl
Golden caramelized onions are paired with buttery, silky brie in this warm spread. Make sure to have enough bread cubes or crackers to use up every gooey bit.Taste of Home Test Kitchen
18 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 round loaf sourdough bread (1 pound)
- 1 round (8 ounces) Brie cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until softened. Reduce heat
- to medium-low; add the brown sugar, vinegar and salt. Cook, stirring
- occasionally, for 30-35 minutes or until onions are deep golden
- Cut top third off loaf of bread; hollow out enough bread from the
- bottom to make room for cheese. Cube removed bread; set aside. Using
- a knife, make 2-in. cuts into loaf around edge of bread at 1-in.
- intervals. Remove rind from cheese; cut cheese in half horizontally.
- Layer half of the cheese and onions in bread. Repeat layers.
- Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25-30
- minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve
- with bread cubes. Yield: 18 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 140 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 310 mg sodium,