- 3 cups sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 round loaf sourdough bread (1 pound)
- 1 round (8 ounces) Brie cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; add the brown sugar, vinegar and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30-35 minutes or until onions are deep golden brown.
- Cut top third off loaf of bread; hollow out enough bread from the bottom to make room for cheese. Cube removed bread; set aside. Using a knife, make 2-in. cuts into loaf around edge of bread at 1-in. intervals. Remove rind from cheese; cut cheese in half horizontally. Layer half of the cheese and onions in bread. Repeat layers.
- Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve with bread cubes. Yield: 18 servings.
Originally published as Onion Brie Bowl in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p17
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Onion Brie Bowl
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 31, 2014
"I made this for Christmas and everyone loved it. Making it again for superbowl."
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2013